In this age of endless technological advancements and life-changing abilities, it is not a surprise to see urban society embracing the proposal of ancient culture. In past few years in urban lifestyle, many people have hermetically closed their eyes and minds engaged with mystical powers and charms which we call as talismans.
A talisman, also called a taweez, is a personal object some Muslims believe can be used to bless the person who carries it. The use of these objects predates Islam’s rise and spread as well as the spread of Islam itself and can be found during many periods in local kitchens, mosques, or homes. In present day, some people put talismans around their body as protection from the evil eye and also to ‘never roam without reason’ in Egypt. Other common use cases we find among Muslims during business meetings or whilst travelling on an airplane because they provide consolation to those stranded during their trip and they want it upon them during their journey.
Amulets can be used with permission from the Shari’ah law in Muslim countries, but those practices differ widely depending on context and country. The country also has implications on what types of amulets can be worn given human rights restrictions and prohibitions. In China, Tibet, Vietnam , and most countries in Southeast Asia such as Malaysia, amulets are not used. Ancient Assyrians sought protection from evil spirits by wearing vulvas-shaped discs. There were also circular amulets worn around necks in ancient Rome that may represent the Sun God -Janus or give wishes for a good night’s sleep. The ancient Greeks also wore amulets for protection, including the omphalos, which was first introduced by the Egyptians and thought to represent a navel or womb. The Egyptians had many amulets of fertility, such as the necklace of Osiris that represented the male phallus. As of 2016, there is no universal amulet for Muslims.
Talismans have come back into style. Many companies have started to use them in marketing efforts to give an edge over their competitors. People can find these mystical items on the websites like eBay and Amazon among others. Salts, minerals, and crystals are often used in lieu of amulets. There is no fixed guideline on the type of items that can be used as a talisman. As long as they have some spiritual significance to the owner, it works.
There are many types of Talismans. Some common types include:
- Androgynous Talisman: These talismans can be found with male or female features. They represent the dual nature of all humans and the balance that one must have in order to live in harmony with self, others and nature.
- Angelic Talisman: It is a good idea to have an angelic talisman close at hand. It helps you combat fear and bad thoughts.
- Aventurine: These are said to be effective in keeping one safe from harm when it appears.
- Bell: It can ward off evil or protect its owner from danger. There are a variety of bells that can be used for different traditions.
- Charm: These are often used by people who want to protect themselves and their loved ones. The charm is usually made from a stone, wood or herbs in some form.
- Color: Talismans color is used for personal protection. Wearing clothes in the color of your choice can help ward off evil spirits that may be nearby.
- Crystal: They are used by many cultures to help them connect with the realm of divinity. They can also be used for protection and healing purposes.
Various people believe that selling, wearing and using charm allow them ALSO TO communicate with their departed friends, love ones or even spirits who can help them with luck and protection of a sort. Archaeology currently confirm many taweez-related findings in a variety of materials such as pottery all of which suggest they were used in both religious and practical spheres dating back thousands of years ago. These objects are believed to have been used by people to ensure that their wishes or demands were fulfilled or to obtain help from an individual who was considered special.