Designlab is an e-learning platform that offers courses in UX design and the basics of visual design. Courses are designed for beginners as well as experienced designers. The most popular Designlab courses are the short month-long courses. However, the platform also has UX Academy Foundations and UX Academy that has a duration of more than 480 hours. Designlab prioritizes hands-on learning through projects and mentorships. What stands out about Designlab is the mentors who are experts in design and can support learners effectively. In a Designlab review by OnlineCourseing, Julia states that having a mentor is the best part of the program>
Before we talk about how much you can save with the Designlab, let’s talk about the actual prices of Designlab courses. Here’s the pricing for the Designlab short courses that span approximately one month:
Design 101 – $399
UI Design – $399
Interaction Design – $399
You can also opt for a payment plan for these short courses and pay in two installments. The UX Academy is an intensive 8-week course with about 80 hours of course content. The UX Academy spreads over 15 weeks if you learn full-time, and 28 weeks if you opt for part-time. This course would cost you $6,249 after applying for the credits you would gain from completing UX Academy Foundations. Designlab does also offer more payment plans for UX Academy.
Who should enroll in Designlab?
There is an increasing demand for UX designers today. Even if you don’t already have design knowledge, you can start from scratch. You don’t need any design experience to enroll in Designlab courses. The short courses are ideal for people who are looking to upskill quickly in specific areas. UX Academy Foundations is also perfect for absolute beginners since you will be taken through all the basics. If you do have design experience, you can apply to UX Academy. If you’d like to enroll in UX Academy right from the start, however, there are prerequisites.
Pros and Cons of Designlab
Let’s start with the pros of learning with Designlab:
- You can get a lot of support from mentors in 1-on-1 sessions to supplement everything you learn during Designlab courses.
- Most courses are beginner-friendly and you don’t need design experience backing you to be eligible.
- Designlab exclusively focuses on design courses(UI/UX), so you can rest assured that the courses are constantly being improved and are up-to-date.
- Students are invited to join a Slack community where they can interact with other designers and design enthusiasts.
- There are plenty of opportunities to practice what you learn through projects.
- Students of UX Academy and UX Academy Foundations can also be a part of group crit sessions. You can showcase your designs, get feedback, and do the same for others students’ designs.
Now, let’s look at the cons of learning with Designlab:
- Other than group crits and one-on-one sessions, you’re mostly immersed in self-study. If you’re looking for an active classroom situation, then you should probably look
- The format of self-study materials can be monotonous. It would make a world of difference if it included interactive study materials.
Should you enroll in Designlab?
Although it may seem like a large investment, the quality of courses and the curriculum add a lot of value. The fact that Designlab offers payment plans for its different courses also makes it more affordable and manageable. The total cost of these courses doesn’t compare to the large amount that you would pay to universities for similar courses. Designlab also has a Reimbursement Guarantee for UX academy students who are not able to score a job within six months of completing the course. However, there are, of course, terms and conditions involved with this guarantee. Go through these T&C before jumping the gun.
Overall, yes, Designlab is worth it. The courses are thorough and up-to-date and add a lot of value to your profile as a designer.
Do I need to have experience in design to enroll in UX Academy?
Yes, or you would have to complete UX Academy Foundations first.
What if I live in a different time zone? Can I still enroll in Designlab courses?
Designlab courses are self-paced. So, your time zone shouldn’t impact learning. For 1-on-1 sessions, Designlab has mentors located across the globe, so that won’t be a problem either.
Will I receive a certificate from Designlab?
Once you complete a Designlab course, you will receive a certificate of completion that you can add to your CV, LinkedIn, etc.
Can I choose my mentor?
When you first enroll in a course with Designlab, you will have to answer a series of questions. Based on your answers, the platform will identify and match you with the right mentor.
That was it for this article. If you found it helpful, consider checking out our blog STORIFYGO!