It is not easy to be a person with disabilities.
There are many barriers that people with disabilities have to face on a daily basis. These barriers can prevent them from living a full and productive life.
From physical barriers to social barriers, here are 8 barriers that a person with disabilities has to face:
1. Accessibility barriers: People with disabilities often face barriers to accessing public places, transportation, and communication. This can make it difficult for them to live independently and participate in the community.
2. Attitude barriers: Negative attitudes towards people with disabilities can be a major barrier to their inclusion in society. People with disabilities often face discrimination and exclusion because of other people’s negative attitudes.
3. Economic barriers: People with disabilities often have difficulty finding employment and earning a livable wage. This can make it hard for them to support themselves and their families.
4. Environmental barriers: People with disabilities often find the built environment to be inaccessible and hostile. This can make it difficult for them to get around and participate in activities.
5. Historical barriers: People with disabilities have often been excluded from history. This can make it difficult for them to feel like they belong in society.
6. Information barriers: People with disabilities often have difficulty accessing information. This can make it hard for them to make informed decisions about their lives.
7. Social barriers: People with disabilities often face social barriers such as isolation, prejudice, and exclusion. This can make it difficult for them to build relationships and participate in the community.
How a person can handle these barriers?
There are many doors still open (hopefully).
They can work to create accessible environments and inclusive policies. By raising their voices and standing up for their rights, people with disabilities can break down the barriers that stand in their way.
For more ease, I’m mentioning some proven ways that a person with disabilities can follow.
1. Get involved in the community:
There are many ways to get involved in the community. People with disabilities can volunteer, join a club or group, or participate in events and activities. Getting involved in the community can help people with disabilities make friends, have fun, and feel included.
2. Be aware of your rights:
People with disabilities have rights. It is important to know what these rights are so that you can stand up for yourself if necessary. In Canada, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects people with disabilities from discrimination. The Ontario Human Rights Code also provides protection from discrimination.
3. Speak out:
People with disabilities can speak out against barriers by sharing their experiences and raising awareness about the issues they face. When people with disabilities speak out, they can help to break down barriers and create change.
4. Access support:
There are many organizations that provide support to people with disabilities. These organizations can offer information, advice, and advocacy. Accessing support can help people with disabilities navigate barriers and live full and productive lives.
Also Check: A Guide on Attorneys for Healthcare Fraud
There are many barriers for a person with disabilities. Some of these barriers are societal, while others are institutional. Still, others are environmental or attitudinal. No matter what the barrier is, it is important to identify and address them so that people with disabilities can fully participate in society.
There are many organizations and resources available to help people with disabilities overcome barriers. One such organization is NDIS in australia which provides support and funding for people with disabilities to help them live independently. You can simply search online with different keywords like ndis providers near me.
Another one, is the National Disability Rights Network (NDRN). NDRN is the largest grassroots disability rights organization in the United States. They provide advocacy, training, and legal assistance to people with disabilities so that they can live independently and participate fully in society.
There are also many online resources available, such as the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund website, which provides information and advocacy for people with disabilities.
If you or someone you know is facing barriers due to a disability, there are many ways to get help. With the right resources and support, anyone can overcome any obstacle.