When it comes to versatility, very few clothing items offer as much as a pair of jeans. From workplaces to fancy dinners, a pair of jeans can fit right in. Jeans were introduced back in the 19th century and since then, they have been the preferred style of pants for many around the world.
The main reason behind their popularity is their make. They are soft, comfortable, durable, and can be paired with a diverse range of clothing items. Jeans are available in many different cuts, styles, and colors. Though we love variety when it comes to clothing – it can get a bit (or a lot) confusing when shopping for the perfect pair of jeans.
Different jeans brands all over the world sell the garment in different cuts and styles, with new and improved shapes and designs rolling out each year. However, particular jeans styles have remained on top of every other trend in jeans so far—skinny jeans and straight-legged jeans. These are known as the classic styles when it comes to jeans.
In this article, you will find the difference between skinny jeans and straight-legged jeans, how do they look, and finally, which one to go for.
Straight-legged jeans look exactly as they sound – straight. The fit of straight-legged jeans is far more comfortable. The width of the hem falls straight from the hip to the ankle, making it far more comfortable to wear. Owing to their comparatively looser fit, straight-legged jeans are far more forgiving when it comes to dressing for your shape.
Extra small or a plus size straight leg jeans – a pair of this cut has the versatility to flatter any shape, making it the ideal choice for many. Back in the 80s and 90s, the straight-legged jeans were all the rage, which makes its comeback, in the last three years or so, that much more fascinating. Although they didn’t go out of style, their demand in the last three years has skyrocketed.
Skinny jeans fit like a glove, hugging your hips, calves, and ankles. The waistline is a tight fit and from there on, it increasingly narrows down till the hemline which is as wide as your ankle joint, making for a tighter fit.
A millennial favorite, skinny jeans have come to rule the world of denim for the last two decades. From celebrities to regular school-going teens, everyone has several pairs of skinnies hanging in their wardrobe.
Is the Skinny Jeans Dead?
Now with Gen-Z preferring looser fits and baggy clothing styles, skinny jeans have lost their raging appeal. Some people have even declared it dead – but that’s not entirely true. Although the recent generations prefer to experiment with their jeans styles, from mom jeans to wide flared bottoms, the public demand for skinny jeans has not decreased that much.
It is only the centuries-old generational differences in clothing preferences. So, feel free to choose whatever style of jeans you like. If you like the look of it on yourself, then nothing should matter.
Skinny Jeans vs Straight-Legged Jeans
Although the two styles look quite similar displayed side by side on the rack, they give off a completely different look when you try them on. Different brands have different size charts and different cuts, so be sure to always try on a pair of jeans before buying.
Some people like to experiment with their jeans while others like to stick to their preferred look. No matter which category you fall in, you should know the basic characteristics of each style so you can make an informed purchasing decision.
Go For Skinny Jeans If You Want:
- A form-fitting Look
- To Accentuate Your Figure
- To Glam Up Your Look
- To Pair Them with Knee-High Boots
Go For Straight Legged Jeans If You Want:
- A Looser Fit
- A Casual Look
- More breathing space for your Knees and Legs
- More Comfort
- A Trendier Look
How to Style Skinny Jeans?
Skinny jeans are not as trendier anymore as straight-legged jeans, but with the right styling tips you can still pull them off.
- Go for high-waisted skinny jeans as they are trendier and brilliantly accentuate your waist.
- To balance out the form-fitting look, pair your skinnies with baggy tops or slouchy jumpers.
- Tuck in your tops at the middle achieving the “French Tuck” look. Not only will it look chic, but it will also highlight your waist and define your outfit.
- Pair with knee-high boots, as skinny jeans are far easier to tuck in as compared to broader hem styles.
- Pair them with a silk blouse and heels to achieve a fancier or professional look.
- Pair them with crop tops for an effortless casual look.
How to Style Straight-Legged Jeans?
Putting on a pair of straight-legged jeans these days will automatically give you style points but keep the following in mind to get the best value out of them.
- Pair with a tight crop top, full-sleeved shirt, or a sweater to balance out the whole look
- Pair with loose sweaters or shirts to achieve a more relaxed look
- Draw inspiration from current celebrity looks sporting straight-legged jeans
- Wear them when it is hot out as they offer far more breathing space for your legs than skin-tight jeans
- Roll up the hem and pair them with heels to look fancier
- Pair them with sneakers for a trendier yet relaxed look
- Avoid pairing them with knee-high boots as it can get difficult to properly tuck in straight-legged jeans
When it comes to your dressing style, no one can make a better decision about it than yourself. Go for a pair of jeans that resonates the most with your preferences. Having said that, keep the points mentioned above in mind before picking out your next pair of jeans. Go for straight-legged jeans if you want a more comfortable, relaxed, and trendier option. Go for skinnies if you want a figure-enhancing, form-fitting look that is far easier to pair with other clothing items you have. Whatever you choose, wear it with confidence, and it will look good on you.
That was it for this article. If you found it helpful, consider checking out our blog STORIFYGO!